Friday, May 30, 2014

An update on Easton's hand...

Update on E's hand for those asking:  his hand looks amazing...the doctors said they can't believe how awesome it looked for less than a month out (last week)...he is using it again, has full range of motion and the scarring is minimal which gives us hope that eventually the scar will be gone.   We went from seeing the surgeon every other day, to twice a week, then weekly and now we have a 3 week span before we go again!  I used to have panic attacks before changing his dressing.  He would scream and I would feel nauseous knowing I was causing him pain.  Now, E's hand has to be moisturized multiple times a day and when he sees me pull out the cream he walks over and gives me his hand!  No tears and no pain!  
The doctors keep saying that they just can't believe his progress.  They said it is incredibly common for a burn of this magnitude to get infected at least once...would be rare if it didn't...guess what???  Not one hint of infection :-). The doctor said to me "I don't know what you are doing but whatever it is keep doing it"...I wasn't sure what I was doing either but after a little reflection I realized what I may be doing that is different from what other burn patients receive...I am breast feeding!!!! Maybe I am crazy or maybe I am on to something...I don't know. What I do know is that I am so thankful that I have been successful in nursing both my kids, that it has been pretty natural for me, that I have an amazing milk supply (although I can't find a swim suit top to fit me), and that I have been fortunate enough to have no issues.  I know some aren't so lucky :-) ok...enough about my "girls"...
Below are 2 pictures of E's hand (if you are sensitive don't look).  The first is about 3 weeks after the accident and the second is today...almost 5 weeks later!










No comments:

Post a Comment