Sunday, March 11, 2012

Answers...

So we finally have some answers...on Thursday I had an appointment with the surgeon to discuss all of my options.  I have to say that I am so relieved after meeting and talking to this doctor!  He was personable, honest, thorough and extremely straightforward!  He spent a lot of time feeling the tumor, trying to move it, squeezing it, and asking questions about my pain.  He followed the physical exam by drawing a great visual of my head explaining where the tumor is, what it is doing and how he thinks he can help me.  He then gave a very in depth description of the surgery and what I should expect after the fact.  Were it not for the pain, I could just leave the tumor right where it is.  It appears to be benign and fatty which is usually harmless unless...don't you love words like "appears" and "usually"...  So here are my options...option #1 is to remove the tumor!  Option #2 is to do nothing and hope the pain goes away.  Obviously the doctor can't make the decision for me...I tried!  But he made a great point...the surgery is relatively simple, the recovery is about a week, my hair will cover the scar, and this could eliminate my pain...although nothing is ever 100%!  He said he wouldn't tell me what to do but that he would gently steer me in one direction.  With that he walked me to pre-op hahaha!!!
I have not scheduled the surgery...I wanted to think about it!  Several people have asked me what there was to think about?  Let me list a few 1. I don't want to be put to sleep.  2. I do not want my head to be cut in to.  3.  I don't want to have to rely on other people for a full week.  4. I don't want to inconvenience anyone or feel like a drama queen.  5. Finally, I do not want them to shave part of my hair.  THIS is the biggest...vain but true...I do not want to have a bald spot.  The tumor is on the top of my head which will make covering it a challenge...I guess I need to expand my hat collection!  Once the surgery is scheduled, I will be sure to let everyone know!
Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive!  The little gestures have meant so much to me...without my closest friends and family here; the texts, emails, and messages have been the hand holds and hugs that I didn't physically have...THANK YOU!!!

***Sorry, no fun pictures this time***

No comments:

Post a Comment